Lesbian, Gay and Bisexual People in Sport:
Understanding LGB sports participation in Wales
Stonewall Cymru have worked in partnership with Sport Wales to conduct ground-breaking research in to lesbian, gay and bisexual peoples participation in sport.
This research provides an insight in to how Lesbian, Gay and Bisexual people participate in sport, or indeed why they might choose not to.
- 94% of LGB people have taken part in sport in the last 12 months
- 75% of LGB survey respondents have heard homophobic banter in sport.
- 49% of LGB individuals said they had experienced verbal abuse due to their sexual orientation - 12% have experienced physical abuse
- 33% of LGB people have experienced exclusion from sport because of their sexual orientation
- 72% of LGB people would be more likely to participate in a club if it was marketed as LGB-friendly.
- 51% of LGB people would be more likely to participate if a club was primarily for LGB individuals.
Click here to read the full report
What you can do
Encourage national governing bodies, your local club, or school to tackle homophobia in sport by downloading one of our postcards:
National Governing Bodies – Clubs– Schools
And don't forget to spread the word!
• Share them on Facebook.
• Send them to your friends, family and local AM
• Tweet us at @stonewallcymru or by using #sportgetsbetter
• Follow our campaign on Twitter or Facebook.
Further information on sports clubs and activities in your area can be found on the Sport Wales website