Information about how to remove historical sexual convictions from records
Log in
What you can do

Remove convictions and cautions for gross indecency

From 1 October 2012 people in England and Wales with some convictions and cautions for consensual gay sex will be able to apply to the Home Office to have these offences removed from their criminal records.

Stonewall campaigned hard for the repeal of laws that criminalised gay sex and to have those consensual gay sex convictions deleted from people’s records. The inclusion of these unfair former offences on the criminal records of thousands of gay men stigmatised them and put many off volunteering or applying for jobs that required a criminal record check.

Stonewall has produced a guide on how to apply for the removal of convictions from records:


For further information please contact Stonewall Cymru's Information Service on 08000 502020 or email