We're looking for LGBT candidates aged 16-25 to undertake a week of volunteer work experience with one of our Diversity Champions in Wales.
LGBT young people at work
We know that people perform better when they can be themselves.
Through the Work Placements Programme, you will receive support from a mentor to gain valuable experience of working with an LGBT-friendly employer.
- Stonewall’s Diversity Champions programme works with over 700 employers who employ millions of people between them.
- Only 23% of LGBT employees in Wales are completely comfortable being ‘out’ in the workplace.
- However, 92% who reported that there are visible LGBT Role Models in their workplace also felt that their organisation was LGBT-inclusive.
Whatever your experience, we would like you to apply! Whether you are in school, college or university, volunteer or work, or if you have been out of education or employment for a while, we would like to hear from you!
Successful applicants will be matched with the workplace that is best suited to them, and placements will start on a date that works for them and you.
I can’t stress enough how brilliant this week has been on both a personal and professional level.
What you'll learn
Candidates will develop a number of invaluable skills, including:
- General administration and organisation
- Developing good working relations with staff and stakeholders
- Communicating with staff from different levels of seniority
- Experience using social media for a professional purpose
- Experience multi-tasking and involvement in different projects
- Experience dealing with customers, clients and service users
- Experience the professional environment of an LGBT-friendly employer
- Experience working with LGBT role models and LGBT Staff Networks
It helped me to be more confident as a way of practicing being “out” in the workplace, something I will value very much in the future.”
We will do our best to place you with an organisation, and in a role that suits your talents and interests. Some of the organisations who have offered placements in the past include National Assembly for Wales, Cardiff University, Welsh Government, Cardiff and Vale Health Board, or Barclays Bank!
This list is not exhaustive and we are continually looking for new Diversity Champions to provide a young person with an LGBT-friendly work place opportunity.
“We have hosted three young people on Stonewall Cymru’s work placement scheme and each of them have been a positive experience. We’ve arranged a programme based on their interests and each of the participants have reported that they have enjoyed the exposure to different types of activities. It’s also helped them learn about the Assembly, what it does, and enabled them to make some decisions about the type of work they’d like to pursue in the future.”
Craig, National Assembly
The application window to apply for our youth work placements is now closed, it will reopen for the year 2020 in February.
If you have any questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 02920 237 744