Stonewall Cymru | Registering a marriage or civil partnership
Log in
What you can do

Registering a marriage or civil partnership

Giving notice

Once you have decided that you want to get married or have a civil partnership you will need to give notice. Both you and your partner will each need to give notice of your intention to register a marriage/ civil partnership to the local register office where you live. You must do this in person.

You will need to give notice in your local registry office even if you are getting married/having a civil partnership somewhere else.

You must have lived in that area for at least seven days before you can give notice there.

When you give notice, you will be asked to give details of the date and place where the marriage/ civil partnership is to be registered.

Once you have given notice your details will be made publicly available for twenty eight days. This will be in the area in which both of you live and the area where you're going to register, if this is different.

For couples where one or both partners are a non-EEA national with limited or no immigration status, the notice period can be extended to 70 days.

You must get married or register your civil partnership within the next twelve months or you start the whole process again.

For further information please contact Stonewall Cymru's Information Service on 08000 502020 or email