We're looking for LGBT candidates aged 18-25 to undertake a week of volunteer work experience with one of our Diversity Champions in Scotland.
LGBT young people at work
We know that people perform better when they can be themselves.
We are excited to be launching our Work Placement programme in Scotland in 2019. Through this programme, you will receive support from a mentor to gain valuable experience of working with an LGBT-friendly employer.
- Stonewall’s Diversity Champions programme works with over 700 employers who employ millions of people between them.
- One in eight lesbian, gay and bi staff in Scotland (12 per cent) are not open with anyone at work about their sexual orientation, including nearly half of bi men (47 per cent). 18% of trans people aren't open with anyone at work about their gender identity.
- However, 92% who reported that there are visible LGBT Role Models in their workplace also felt that their organisation was LGBT-inclusive.
Whatever your experience, we would like you to apply! Whether you are in school, college or university, volunteer or work, or if you have been out of education or employment for a while, we would like to hear from you!
Successful applicants will be matched with the workplace that is best suited to them, and placements will start on a date that works for them and you.
I can’t stress enough how brilliant this week has been on both a personal and professional level.
CHRISTIAN, Participant in StoneWall Cymru Workplace Programme.
What you'll learn
Candidates will develop a number of invaluable skills, including:
- General administration and organisation
- Developing good working relations with staff and stakeholders
- Communicating with staff from different levels of seniority
- Experience multi-tasking and involvement in different projects
- Experience dealing with customers, clients and service users
- Experience the professional environment of an LGBT-friendly employer
- Experience working with LGBT role models and LGBT Staff Networks
It helped me to be more confident as a way of practicing being “out” in the workplace, something I will value very much in the future.”
RACHEL, Participant in Stonewall Cymru Workplace Programme
We will do our best to place you with an organisation, and in a role that suits your talents and interests. We aim to offer placements in a variety of organisations in the public, private and third sector organisations across Scotland.
This list is not exhaustive and we are continually looking for new Diversity Champions to provide a young person with an LGBT-friendly work place opportunity.
We have hosted three young people on the work placement scheme and each of them have been a positive experience. We’ve arranged a programme based on their interests and each of the participants have reported that they have enjoyed the exposure to different types of activities. It’s also helped them learn about the Assembly, what it does, and enabled them to make some decisions about the type of work they’d like to pursue in the future.
CRAIG, NATIONAL ASSEMBLY OF WALES
How to apply
For more information on how you could get involved with Stonewall, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0131 474 8019. for up to date information on our work, keep an eye on our Twitter channel @StonewallScot